* B.S Degree in Business Admin. & Social Sciences, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC.
* Masters Degree (M.Ed.) in Counseling from Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina
* Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Counselor Education with Cognate in Psychology. The University of South Carolina. Columbia, SC.
* Counseling Psychology Internship University of South Carolina Counseling Center.
* License #4 as a Professional Counselor by the South Carolina Board of Examiners in Counseling, Columbia, SC.
* Global Career Development facilitator certified, Greensboro, NC
* Certified Personal Fitness Trainer, W.I.T.S. School of Personal Training, Virginia Beach, Virginia
Professional Counseling Experience
Dr. Allen began his counseling career as a vocational/mental health counselor in a community mental health center serving three counties in Western South Carolina. As a clinician and clinical supervisior he worked in the major psychiatric hospitals and alcohol/drug addiction treatment centers for over 25 years. He taught graduate and undergraduate courses as an adjunct instructor on both the university and community college levels. He was recognized by the South Carolina Counseling Association and the South Carolina Mental Counselors Association for his pioneering contributions for the Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marital and Family Therapist, and Psycho-Educational Specialist in South Carolina. For six years he provided private counseling services to clients referred by physicians, attorneys, ministers, and the general public in Columbia, SC. Dr. Allen is a participating member of the American Counseling Association, SC Counseling Association, and the SC American Mental Health Counselors Association. He served in leadership positions in both of these associations. He was honored with the Sertoman of the Year Award by the Northeast Columbia Sertoma Club for his outstanding service to his community. As a Certified Personal Fitness Trainer, Dr. Allen volunteers his time in facilitatng the fitness of seniors at the YMCA; he values the therapeutic benefits of fitness in developing good mental Health. He is also a mentor with the Kids Hope USA Program at Loris Elementary School. His therapeutic belief system includes the Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler, MD, Person Centered Therapy by Carl R. Rogers, Ph.D., Rational Emotive Therapy by Albert Ellis, Ph.D., Reality Therapy by William Glasser, MD, Cognitive Restructing Therapy by Aaron Beck, Ph.D, and Solution Focused Brief Therapy by B. Cade/W.H Atlantic Counseling Practice follows the ethical guidelines of the American Counseling Association. Dr. Allen's goals is to select the best theoretical approach based on the client's attributes, resources, and situation. He treats each client as a unique individual. His faith as a Christian was planted in the "Methodist Church," and flourished as an "Confirmed Episcopalian." Clients of all faiths are welcomed in his practice.